What’s the craic?
Instagram is the platform for images – if what you do or sell is very visual, then it’s absolutely the place for your (younger) audience to see you and as you can also upload videos and create stories, it’s the queen of visual content. However, if you want to post a video you have a limit of up to 60 seconds, which is fine if you’re just giving someone a snapshot but not so great if you want to do a more in-depth feature.
IGTV allows you to post a video up to an hour long. That’s only if you have a larger or verified account (a real Instagram influencer), for everyone else the limit is 10 minutes, which is still a pretty big improvement over 60 seconds and there is SO much you can do/say in that time.
Our suggestions include:
- vlogging – a great addition to the written word,
- a behind-the-scenes feature from your business,
- interviews with your favourite inspirational people,
- a video of your puppy chasing his tail,
- ramblings from a tired brain (or maybe that’s just me), the sky is indeed your limit!
The benefits of the app are huge! All videos will now be vertical, which is exactly how nature intended (on your phone at least) and they also won’t disappear after 24 hours, which is great as your audience can catch you later; BUT just be careful of what you’re putting out there.
You can give your video a title, add a little description so your followers can understand why you’ve posted a five minute video of your cat being scared by cucumbers (look it up, it’s hilarious), and add a little thumbnail to make everything look orderly and professional.
It’s also very like a TV in that it starts playing when you open the app. It has channels, but the creators are the channels so if you follow someone on Instagram their channel will be available for you to watch. You can search for your favourites, leave comments and even share videos with your friends – all of which means your customers can too.
How do I start?
Like Facebook with Messenger, IGTV is a stand-alone app but it can also be used from inside Instagram and setting it up is really easy:
- Download the app from the App Store or Google Play;
- If you’re already signed in to Instagram it will automatically use that profile;
- If you don’t have an Instagram profile, follow the (simple) steps to create your IGTV channel;
- Done! Now all you have to do is pull a content plan together to enthral your audience.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?
A word of caution
Video is the fastest growing content medium in the digital landscape, but don’t just jump on the video bandwagon because you think you ought to.
Take time to consider whether creating longer video content will be useful for your business. If you think it will be, take time to develop a strategy and put a plan in place.
IGTV could change the face of your business if your target audience is there – just make sure they are!